Followers

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Why I Write

In the way only a former Professor can do, I have been challenged to answer a very fundamental question, one that, when it was posed, seemed to require no more thought than any reactionary query. For example, why do I like steak? It tastes good. Why do I like music? It sounds good. Why do I like kittens? They purr. The deceptively simple question is this: Why do I write? Short answer...because I have to.
Sometime around 2006 I was taking one of my first ever creative writing courses at Mt. San Antonio College with Professor Holly Cannon. While discussing some aspect of craft or another, Holly posed the same question but answered it herself as if it were rhetorical. She said, "If you asked all writer's why they write, I imagine it would be because they feel they have to." At the time my answer to the question was much simpler. I wanted to scare the shit out of people. I wanted to write bad ass horror novels with bad ass villains and bad ass heroes who could overcome badass conflicts with unchecked feats of badassery. Could I not have gone one step further and asked, well, why do I want to scare the shit out of people? Oh, Holly was right. I wanted to scare people because I had to.
So, taking the compulsion to write as the root answer, here are some additional qualifying details concerning my writing past:
2006-I want to scare you because I love Stephen King
2008-Because I LOOOOOVE allegory and want to emulate it
2009-Because I despise allegory, and love realism.
2010-Have you read Game of Thrones, I mean have you read it? I want to write fantasy.
2011-So comics are for kids, but graphic novels, GRAPHIC NOVELS are for adults, and I love them.
2012-Well.... here we go...
...
...
...I write because, after all the books I've read, and all the authors I've idolized, I'm not satiated. I have questions of the world, and each answer gives life to a hundred new questions. I write because, in prose I find the offensive, the tragic and the perverse to be instruments of my education. I write because observation subdivides the world into spheres for further analysis.
And, because I have to.
And, I have to.

12 comments:

  1. I like that: I'm not satisfied. Yes! I remember another author being asked after 23 books if he's written his best stuff yet. He said no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kyle, you see with all the words you used to say that you write because...you are a writer. Welcome to the world of nonsensical,sensible, irrational,rational…world of writers who are rarely satisfied with their work, but we keep moving forward.
    Augie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I understand you, you have to write. Got it. (snicker, snicker)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Kyle. You write because you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I can't imagine ever having too much of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, anyone see writing as something that possibly kept you from going down a different, less constructive path in life? Or is that just me? Hmm...shut up subconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kyle, you are capable of deep introspection and honesty. How refreshing. Thank you for the glimpse inside. And yes, writing has saved me from my baser instincts many a time. Not always-- sometimes, it is used as a processing vehicle after what I like to call adventures. I'm not as honest as you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honest as me? But I'm full of S***. Just ask any ex-girlfriend of mine. I didn't even write this message here. That's a lie. Hrmm...so, I think i hear someone on my rotary line. Thanks Marta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kyle, you're at a level ten badassery ranking right now!! I wanna read the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How does one get to level 11, I was under the impression that I would be there before christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been sick for a week and so I've been slightly emotional recently. However, I think, even if I were not sick, that this post would have made me cry. It was lovely Kyle. I don't think that "lovely" was what you were going for and I don't even really know if it makes sense. But this post was true and honest. I loved it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenna, you're so sweet. I think our family has a long history with reading books and getting lost in them. I was late to the table on that one considering i didnt read a book by choice until i was nearly 19. But nI'm making up for lost time. Great to hear from you and thanks so much for reading my blog. New Post soon!

    ReplyDelete